Sunday, February 21, 2010

adventure: part 2



So today I bought this beautiful journal..actually a sketchbook..and it has a very specific purpose.

I plan to write every day about two things:

a. an adventure from that day, big or small
b. something I learned that day

Today, my adventure was simply going to eat with strangers. I hope none of them read this, that would be awkward. But anyway, though I feel confident in meeting new people, it's still a little nerve-racking to accept a lunch invitation with a group of like 7 people that you don't know at all. I decided to skip with formalities and just be myself, unapologetically. It was refreshing.

I learned two things:

First of all, apparently leaving your dog in your car for even 5 minutes is illegal. I left Franklin in the car (which yes, was hot) long enough to walk into a restaurant, set down my purse, and decide on my order. I came back out to get Franklin, who I intended to tie to a pole right outside the restaurant. *sidenote* Austin is very dog-friendly, and dogs are allowed at many, many places. It's not uncommon to tie your dog to a pole outside the restaurant where you eat. ...So anyways, I come back to my car to get Franklin, he decides to go #2 on the beautiful lawn of the offices next door (I did dispose of it, thank you.), and a cop pulls up with his sirens in full force. He said he got a call from someone that I left my dog in the car. Good GRIEF. I was able to apologize and talk my way out of it. I guess I can be glad that someone was watching out for ole' Franky-pants. I didn't even tell the random lunch crew I was eating with what happened, because I was ashamed.

I also learned from my dear friend Leigh that the Bible verse that says "perfect love casts out fear.." in the original Greek, it actually can be translated "perfect love casts out insecurity." That is beautiful to me. I can be incredibly insecure, and I am thankful that she shared that with me.

I'm excited to fill my new journal with stories and sketches of adventure and life lessons.

I leave you with a picture of where I spent the afternoon:


2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. Write more please.
    PS it is my goal, one day, to appear in an entry. (Creepy?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "perfect love casts out insecurity."

    Thanks for sharing that! It made me think...since you and I are in the same boat of being in a new place and constantly meeting new people and trying to be ourselves, isn't it great that we don't have to put up a front with God? When we pray and live daily in His presence, we don't have to worry about the impression we are making or if we said the right thing or were fun and interesting enough. Thank God for loving us perfectly and showing us how to love perfectly.

    ReplyDelete