Monday, March 22, 2010

small things


Last week I received a gift from two people in particular that meant so much to me.


The first came in the form of a phone call.


It was Jessica Lee! Jessica is one of my favorite friends. We became friends my sophomore year of college. Jessica and I had been dorm room neighbors the previous year. All I knew about her was that she had great taste in music (we shared a fondness for a band called Stars), that she seemed very easy-going, and that she had once received a male visitor who came over just so the two of them could tinker with an easy bake oven.


I had Jessica’s number stored in my phone, and I very randomly called her months later to tell her that I had an itch to visit the state of Kentucky, and I wondered if she’d like to join along. I had never been to Kentucky. And I had never hung out with Jessica.


Jessica came along, and we ended up exploring a very random town. We met a few locals, sat on the edge of a dock at a marina, and enjoyed an afternoon that felt a million miles from anywhere else.


Throughout college, Jessica and I had many other adventures. We camped in a teepee. We had pizza with homeless friends underneath a bridge. We explored along the cobblestone streets by the river in Savannah, Georgia. We played with pups at the humane society, we had strobe light dance parties in Jessica’s room. Jess was there when I met my first college boyfriend, and she was there when I had my heart broken by another.

Jessica and I are now living hours apart. Neither of us are good at picking up the phone, so I haven’t talked to her much since I left Nashville. But I’m not one to measure my relationships by the frequency with which we communicate.


On Saturday of last week, Jessica left me a voicemail telling me she was so sad to hear about Franklin, and that she was also sad for me. She wanted to know what she could do to help out financially. Jessica is only one year older than me - fresh out of college, and she is not rolling in the big money. Yet she was willing to help out her friend 600+ miles away who was struggling to pay the vet bills for her sick pup.


In true Melissa fashion, I have yet to call her back to thank her personally for her message. It was truly one of the most thoughtful and genuine offers I have ever received. Jessica, please consider this my formal thank you.


Exactly a week later, I checked my mail. There was an envelope addressed to Franklin Ralph Carter, with paw prints stamped on the back. I knew the handwriting well -- my sister! Inside was the cutest little “get well” card, along with five $20 bills. Melanie said that when she heard me brainstorming what I could sell in order to pay for Franklin’s vet bills, she too asked what she could give up to help me out.


At this point, Franklin’s vet bills have been taken care of in full. He is still in the hospital, and it has been ten days since his second surgery. He has a very serious infection in his abdomen, but he continues to improve each day.


The last three weeks since Franklin got sick have been filled with plenty of low moments and low days. But the constant encouragement and thoughtfulness of people like Liza, Regan, Ellee, Drew, Haley, Mom, Yaya, Leigh, Whitney, Lindsay, Erica, Robynne . . and Melanie and Jessica . . has been so refreshing. I mention specific names simply because I want to recognize any of those people who may read this!


Mother Theresa knew what’s up when she said, “But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful.”

1 comment:

  1. :) love you sis...and love my little nephew, Franklin...so glad he's finally home!!! (don't forget about making him the rock necklace...)

    ReplyDelete