Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hey fam and friends.

I’m sorry for being the hardest person to keep up with.

As most of you know, I like to fly by the seat of my pants.

In May I applied to be a roadie this fall with Invisible Children. On Friday June 19th I received a call from Tiffany at IC letting me know that I was chosen to be part of the team. I am so so excited for this chapter of my life! But things have drastically changed in the last week.

I have to be in San Diego on August 3rd. I was planning to spend a few days at home in Lubbock if I got the internship, and wanted to be in Texas by July 25th so I could be at one of my best friend’s (Ashley Adamson’s) wedding.

I started a job at Cheesecake Factory as a server here in Nashville on June 18th. The training process there is QUITE extensive, and wasn’t going to end for me until July 4th. That means that within the week that training ended I was already going to have to put in my two week notice to quit. I couldn’t in good conscience go through the training process without telling my managers that I would soon be moving to San Diego. Once I told them they were very understanding, and we agreed that for a variety of very good reasons it wouldn’t be a good idea for me to work at CF for only a few weeks. They did, however, tell me that if I return to Nashville after the internship that I would have a job with them!

It’s very hard to find a job for only a few weeks. I don’t even have time to set something up - I need income immediately! My boss back home in Lubbock from my high school job at On the Border said he would let me come back and work for a few weeks before I head to California.

Therefore, I’m going back to Lubbock - next week. I’ll be able to work, finish up my summer school classes at Lipscomb online, and spend time with my family. I haven’t lived at home in years and am really excited to be there for the month of July.
I am so sad to leave Nashville - especially so suddenly, but after long discussions with people who love me most, know me best, and whose opinion I value and trust, I decided this was really the best option. Furthermore, I really really feel God’s hand in all of this. I’ve hardly had to do anything throughout this entire process. He has been in the details. Everything has been happening quickly and smoothly and I haven’t had to worry about anything for even a minute. It’s like it’s all been laid out for me and I’m simply be asked to follow.

I received news that I would be a roadie and quit my job at CF just in time to allow me to go to D.C. for Lobby Days with Invisible Children this past weekend. I was worried about the trip financially, but the money was taken care of in ways that were very obviously not coincidental.

I’ll be in San Diego from August to December. For the first 5 weeks I will go through training. Then for 8 weeks I’ll be sent on a tour with a team of 3 other roadies in some region of the US where we will host screenings and tell people about what is going on in Northern Uganda and the Congo. Then I will be back in San Diego for 2 weeks of “debriefing and decompressing.”

Fortunately, my advisor at Lipscomb has agreed to arrange for me to receive school credit hours for my time as a roadie, and I will be able to graduate in December if everything goes according to plan.

This position is unpaid - my housing and transportation is taken care of, but I have to raise support to take care of my weekly food stipend. I’ll have to raise around $1500.
My sweet roommates are hosting an open-door goodbye type thing on Saturday night from 7 to 9:30. It’s very informal. I would love for anyone who is able to come by and say hey! It’s not a sad thing..I mean, I may be returning to Nashville in only a matter of months! It’s just really an opportunity to hug everyone since I don’t have a chance to hang out with people in the little time before I leave.

Thank you to all of you who have been so supportive and encouraging throughout all of this. Love you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you...really jealous, but very, very proud! Have the BEST time in San Diego! With any luck I'll be able to join you, but being abroad doesn't really help with communication. Who knows.

    And does this mean you'll be able to come to our Nashville reunion now at the end of July?

    ReplyDelete