Friday, July 03, 2009

Home is wonderful. I love just being with family. Hanging out with mom and dad in the living room doing nothing in particular is one of my favorite things to do. We have a new addition to the family - a maltese named Sandy. At first I didn't know how to feel, because my loyalties lie with Buddy, our lhasa apso that we got Christmas of 1994. He has been my puppy for 15 years and I don't want Sandy stealing any of his attention! But she has grown on me. I just make it a point to divide my attention equally.

I made dinner tonight for mom, dad and both of my grandmas. One of my favorite things is making food for someone that they really enjoy. Dinner was a hit. I made these soft tacos with pork, homemade guacamole, and chilied pecans. OH MY WORD. They were delish. Get the recipe from me, right now. I also made an apricot peach cobbler. Mmmm.

While I've been home I've been able to catch up with four friends. Three of the four have lived in East Africa for at least a year. One of them (my age) lived in a mud hut by himself. The LRA hadn't been active in the area where he was staying in quite a while - until two days after he moved in. Then for many, many nights, he laid in his hut while bombs flew over him. He heard bullets going by..bullets landing in the dirt..as he would (attempt to) go to sleep, he literally did not know if he would wake to see the next morning. He also saw a young 8-year-old Sudanese boy almost beaten to death by government officials who wrongly suspected him of being an LRA soldier.

..I've heard incredible stories that have made every"thing" so much more real to me.

I've been really challenged since I've decided to be a roadie with Invisible Children. Many have been supportive and encouraging. Many have been somewhat supportive, with reservation. Some have cheered me on blindly, assuming they should because I'm going to work with .. something .. Africa related .. and others have been a bit critical of my decision - either directly or nondirectly.

I so value honesty and transparency. I am really thankful for those who have told me how they really feel. It has caused me to really closely evaluate why I made the decision that I did, and why I have chosen to become so closely involved with this organization.

I am such a people pleaser. If people don't like what I'm doing, I tell myself that I should change and mold myself or the situation into a way that will please everyone. In the last month I have begun the process of liberating myself..or..allowing God to liberate me..from the binds of people-pleasing.

I feel so confident in my decision. I realize that non-profit organizations as a whole are a little..eh, risky. I firmly believe that any person should really look closely into a non-profit before deciding to become involved, or even deciding to donate money. I also realize that Invisible Children is not the answer to all of the world's problems. It is a group and a movement with a wonderful vision and heart, but there are other groups and movements that also have a wonderful vision and heart. Undoubtedly, I want to urge all of those that I meet to learn more about what Invisible Children is doing, and to cast their support in one way another, big or small. But most of all, I would want to encourage people to really evaluate what their hearts beat for.I would want them to take a good look at their gifts, passions, resources..and find out where it is that they might be led. That may mean quitting a job and doing something radical. Or that may mean opening one's eyes to a lonely neighbor who could use a visit every now and then. Each role is of equal importance and value.

I suppose my greatest fear is that I will die not having lived for anything greater than myself. So with that said, I want to encourage others to live for something greater than themselves.

Happy 4th. God, do bless America - but God, bless this world. We are thankful for our freedom. But I pray freedom for the other countries. And I pray that while we celebrate freedom and sacrfice tomorrow, we would remember all the people just like us living outside American soil. I pray especially for Uganda, Congo, Sudan, Iraq, Iran, and Honduras.

1 comment:

  1. Oh bananas I'm sooOOooo happy for you! First of all, you are totally taking a risk to do something you are passionate about and second, you are going to be bringing awareness of a travesty so that people will know and so that people will become involved in the freedom and peace of not only a nation, but these beautiful children who are being used for evil. Cheers and tally-ho! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete