Thursday, August 06, 2009

I honestly cannot believe I made it to San Diego. The last few weeks I have been so swamped with pre-arrival activities and the longest paper ever for a class at Lipscomb..and then I was baking lots for the fabulous people who ordered cookies and such from me. So yeah, I wanted to be excited for this but I didn't really see light at the end of the tunnel until..the night before I left. Which was Tuesday, August 4th.

Cannot believe how crazy pretty this place is. When the plane was landing my reaction was really nerdy and I unashamedly was taking pictures all over the place with my camera phone, and audibly exclaiming. 

When I arrived, I was picked up by one of the Invisible Children staff members, who also was picking up two guys from Detroit. Hello, funniest boys ever. My first impression of fellow roadies started off quite well because I laughed my head off the entire way to the IC offices, which is where we went first thing.

All the roadies and the IC "Movement" staff members watched a documentary outside about the first landing on the moon. People thought those moon-walking fools were crazy. They couldn't be stopped by nay-sayers. They were some serious dreamers. The movie started at like 8:30, and so it was a late evening..didn't get back to the roadie house (where 60 of us are living, don't worry. 7 bedrooms, 60 young people.) until 2:30 AM Texas time..because the hungry boys insisted we stop at In and Out on the way home..ya know, the burger place everyone raves about. I tried a bite of our nice Aussie roadie's hamburger..I mean, it was good.  My life isn't changed. Oops. Anyways, then we had to stop a taco place too. Really not surprised that we were making midnight runs to fast food joints. 

Got in bed at about 2:30 Cali time..4:30 Texas time..and I was already mad crazy sleep deprived. Had a very early morning today, our first day in the office. I suppose most mornings will be 6 A.M.ish for me. I live in a very small room with 5 other girls..3 sets of bunk beds with a small little path to walk in. Then there's the whole 30 girls, 2 shower thing. Haha..it's all part of it, and we're all totally down with it. 

Today at the offices we had a tour of everything, met all the staff members, and went through session after session after session of information on the IC mission..programs..history..you name it. My rear end is ti-yerd. But what an incredible day. I absolutely believe in this organization. The values of it resonate with me in a serrrrious way. I'm so in this it's not even funny. I want to shove myself out of it though. This is not about me, and I never want to become arrogant and I cannot be fooled into thinking I like "get it" or something. No no no. 

I am so thankful for being here. Missing you guys. And dangit, missing my puppy Daisy.

Oh also. I have the opportunity to go to Uganda either next month or in January..for 10 days. I have another $2000 to do so. We would be visiting with victims of the war, and would really get to see the programs IC has set in place over there. 

Oh how I want to go to Uganda. Oh how I do not want to raise another $2000. I'm really putting this one in God's hands. He knows I want to go..but I don't have it in me to pursue a lot more fundraising..so I'm trusting if I'm supposed to go, doors will open and it will be clear that that's where I'm supposed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment